Brief History of the Institution
ATB was founded in 1950 as the European Mennonite Bible School in Basel by the Mennonite Churches of France, Germany and Switzerland supported by Mennonite Central Committee.
ATB grew steadily in the 1950s and bought the Bienenberg campus in Liestal (ca. 10 km from Basel) in 1957. As the school grew in the 1960s and 70s new buildings including a library and student housing were provided on the site. ATB now has the capacity to host educational programs for up to one hundred students.
ATB has always offered programs in French and German and TSB continues to have two distinct language departments.